Suas autonomy engineer
Fibertek, Inc. is a leading developer of laser and electro-optic systems for the aerospace community, with key contributions to lasers for atmospheric sensing, laser communications, and lidar sensors for NASA, DoD, and commercial customers. We are looking for a highly motivated individual to join our division at the Army Research Laboratory in Adelphi, MD to support research on autonomous navigation, multi-sensor fusion, and localization of self and others for sUAS vehicles.
The successful candidate will develop and maintain algorithms and software based for self-localization, geo-localization of other entities, active perception, collaborative multi-agent state estimation, and incorporation of time dissemination using a variety of sensors and mathematical frameworks such as stochastic filtering and bundle adjustment. You will join an agile small business that has a dedicated team of technology and business leaders with 35 years of success behind them. This work will require expert knowledge of:
- State estimation, controls and dynamics, information theory, networked and distributed sensing, time/frequency data analysis, data fusion, and classification, as well as extensive experience in software engineering of mature (i.e. deployable on flight vehicles) implementations of state estimation algorithms.
- An ability to leverage existing AI/ML tools and techniques for annotation and training image-based classifiers is desired as well.
- This position will involve aerial flight testing, hands-on experience with actual UAS systems will occur and periodic trips to outdoor flight-testing locations will be required.
- Program and deploy embedded and laptop computing with ROS-based code (self-written, University provided, open-source, and existing GOTS).
- Read and understand journal and equivalent mathematical papers and be able to implement in software.
- Work with team on dataset annotation and curation as needed.
- Maintain autonomy and Unity-based simulation stack and deploy for a variety of use cases
interested in this position?
- The position will require the applicant to have or rapidly acquire the techniques for modular software development for embedded devices, primarily in languages such as C/C++ and Python and distributed systems middleware ecosystems including Robot Operating System (ROS) and Lightweight Communications and Marshalling (LCM).
- The applicant will make extensive use of open-source libraries pertinent to this field, such as Ceres Solver and the Eigen library, and software lifecycle management tools such as Git.
- Familiarity with docker compartments and cross compilation toolchains is also helpful.
- Experience with simulation environments such as Unity and Gazebo is preferred.
- Active Secret Clearance
- US Citizenship required
Why Fibertek, INC?
Fibertek is a aerospace business with a 35-year history of leadership in delivering advanced laser-based systems and technologies to the defense and aerospace communities with an emphasis on first-of-kind systems developed for the most challenging environments. We are leaders in delivering lasers for space-based earth-sensing LIDAR for NASA (e.g., CALIPSO and ICESat-2 laser systems) and in developing advanced laser and sensor systems for LIDAR and other applications in the defense community. Fibertek fosters a progressive learning environment that values inspiration, promotes professional challenge and encourages personal growth. We offer competitive and incentivized compensation package with excellent benefits.
How to Apply
Fibertek, Inc. is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. Applicants are considered regardless of race, sex, disability, veteran status or any other protected characteristic in accordance with applicable law.