LIDAR Lead System Designer
We are searching for an innovative scientist or engineer to join Fibertek in developing new LIDAR systems for the aerospace and defense communities. You will perform a critical role in the initial definition and analysis of systems to be proposed and developed in response to mission needs for LIDAR sensors. We are looking for a self-directed technologist with demonstrated success in innovative application-driven engineering and development to join our world-class small business. In this position, you will lead a multi-disciplinary team of scientists, engineers, and technicians as a technical authority with deep expertise in laser-based optical sensors and broad awareness of available technologies and system trades.
You will have diverse responsibilities throughout the development life-cycle that include:
- Definition and analysis of system concepts that respond to customer needs
- Leadership of technical discussions with potential customers to discuss requirements, technical priorities and trades
- Authorship of technical proposals that clearly communicate the value of Fibertek’s technical approach
- Leadership of engineering design teams in maturation of concepts to high-fidelity designs, and
- Oversight of design implementation including final system testing and performance verification
In this role, you will report directly to Fibertek’s Chief Technology Officer and will define the technical direction of applied research and development projects that result in the delivery of advanced laser-based systems that are beyond the current the state of technology and which enable the realization of sensing, communications, and other missions for a broad range of customers. Over the long term your contributions will influence the technical direction of growing portfolios in optical sensors and communication systems with national importance.
Want to learn More?
For questions regarding this job listing, please fill out the form below
Doctorate or Masters degree in Optics, Engineering, Physics, or other related field
- >10 years professional experience
- US Citizen and eligibility to obtain a US Security Clearance
- Significant experience in one or more of the following application areas: lidar including linear-mode, photon-counting, and/or coherent-detection modalities, optical detection, beam propagation, optical systems engineering, or laser system design
- Expertise in optical system definition and design, with strong analytical skills and familiarity with key factors in system design including optical link budget and performance analysis, state of the art in critical technologies including laser sources, detectors, data collection and processing, beam direction pointing/scanning, optical fibers, coatings, and optical design elements, influence of environments (e.g., thermal, vibration, and/or radiation effects), and connection to data products and key metrics
- Demonstrated success in mission-specific design, development, and engineering of laser-based optical systems
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated success in authorship of technical proposals and delivery of new system technologies
Why Fibertek, INC?
How to Apply
Fibertek, Inc. is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. Applicants are considered regardless of race, sex, disability, veteran status or any other protected characteristic in accordance with applicable law.